Saturday 10 September 2016

Batman: The Killing Joke - Movie Review


I know that the DC cinematic universe is splitting fans down the middle with their live action films. But, does that cross over into their animated movies? Batman: The Killing Joke is an animated Batman film and is adapted from Allen Moores original graphic novel of the same name. I personally haven't read the graphic novel myself, but what I have heard is that its one one the best Batman stories and graphic novel ever made.

The main plot of the animated movie is that the Joker has one goal, trying to turn someone crazy for just having one bad day like he did. About half of this movie follows this main plot point. What I

What really annoyed me about this movie was that it was rated R, even though that there is nothing but PG 13 content in the movie. There is hardly any swearing, blood or sex in this movie. There is one sex scene but the camera pans away up so you wouldn't even be able to see something that is supposed to be rated R. I think the reason why they chose to 'make it R-rated' was to get people talking and excited for the movie in its advertising. Same situation with The Conjuring, they made  it rated R to get people to talk about it and in the end its just a PG 13 horror film. Same with this year's The Conjuring 2.
Another thing that annoyed me about this movie was that they gave Batgirl 30 minutes worth of backstory and it didn't pay off well. They didn't even need it as it added it nothing to the rest of the film. I mean I guess the reason why they chose to do it is so that the audience would feel symbiotic with her when she later gets shot by the Joker. They also did explore her 'relationship' with Batman but again it wasn't needed and was a bit weird. She also had this subplot with a mob boss fancying her and taking an interest, was not needed what so ever. If they were going to do character building why not mainly focus on the Joker. Could be that Batman and Batgirl chasing him down, locking him away and then him escaping a year or 2 later. If you are going to do set up, why not have relevant set up that would pay off well later in the plot? 

After the first half an hour so that's when the plot picks up. More character is involved and we get flashbacks of the Jokers origin. it's quite a decent take, but it's one of the origin stories that we are told and I thought it was done really well. After the whole Batgirl stuff at the start is when the story becomes more interesting, but my other main problem with the film is the ending. After all the events that happened, and I mean dark events which the Joker commits; it's not a massive pay off and that's what annoyed me the most. I got to see the dark Joker I wnated, but the ending didn't pay off the way I wanted to.

Over all if you enjoy the animated series and the Arkham games, you'll like the performences. I think this film has a problems with its first act and its ending because nothing was really resolved. Thats why I'm giving Batman: The killing Joke a C-.   



No comments:

Post a Comment